Wednesday, May 28, 2008

June 18-21 2007 - Visiting Mun Mun

Finally, exam for our 1st module is approaching soon. Lessons are over, and we are given a few days for self study. And what will I do in this few days?

Instead of studying, I bought return train tickets to Wolverhampton, hahahaha :D Actually I booked 1 week in advance, because booking like this, the tickets will be cheaper by alot.. I mean, really alot.. from 21 pounds to 7 pounds single way...

Why the fark Wolverhampton? Got thing to do meh there??? Some might ask. Well.. I wasn't there for any specific sightseeing or the sorts. I'm going there to visit my schoolmate, Siew Mun @ Mun Mun.

Another schoolmate will be visiting as well, and he went all the way from Leeds. I'm not sure if he's called Jaz or Fred nowadays, but I know him as Wai Ping. Well let's call him Fred here, easier to type..

Upon arrival, Mun and Fred were there waiting for me.. 1st things 1st, go to her house to rest for the day..

We passed by this stadium on the way. If u have been following the EPL all the time, u would have known this team Wolverhampton Wanderers. They were relegated of course...

Thank you, sign post

1 of the side entrances

Actually, I have no idea who Billy Wright is, seems to have legendary status here. Sorry Wolves fans ~_~"

This is their main gate I think

We just spent the day at Mun's house that day. She cooked for us.. tomyam soup, spicy & sour chicken.. didn't take any photos la.. since our photo awareness is quite low.. but really yummy lo... Mun is really a great cook, and I even copied her spicy & sour chicken recipe :D

Wolverhampton actually has nothing much to do.. Just a small town.. So next morning, we took the train and went to nearby Birmingham.

Now, if not for Mun, I would never have thought of visiting Birmingham as well. But, for your info, Birmingham is the 2nd largest city in the UK, after London.

And if u ask me now, I would definitely recommend this city. While other cities have this medieval feel in their streets, a large chunk of Birmingham feels totally modern.

New Street, just outside the train station

Act cool by the fountain in Victoria Square

Me and Mun with a gigantic stone ball

Me and Fred with... Brass or copper mummy?

This is Queen Victoria, hence the place called Victoria Square

If u don't know who Queen Victoria is, same case as with Galileo in my previous post. Go google/wikipedia for it, or go bang wall...

Birmingham has an extensive network of man made canals. There are many longboats on the canals, some provide tourist canal tour services, some are converted into restaurants, and most are just parked by the side..

We went to 1 of these so called canal restaurants for brunch.

On a bridge, on top of our canal restaurant

Inside the restaurant

My food - Jacket Potato with forgot-what-thing as toppings liao..

After brunch, Mun brought us to the Bull Ring. They claim to be the largest shopping mall in the UK. But so did Trafford Centre in Manchester claimed to be too. So let's just say, one of the largest shopping mall in the UK.

Pavilions - I think is an extended part of the Bull Ring

Near 1 of the entrance of the Bull Ring

What's the Bull Ring without the bull, right?

Topshop/Topman. Claim to be the largest outlet in the UK.

After some random window shopping, we went to Selfridges. Selfridges is like Debenhams. If u don't know Debenhams then... Selfridges is like Isetan, departmental store.

Inside Selfridges, there's this Krispy Kreme Donuts, which Mun said is very famous. And the queue is really long. This Krispy Kreme Donuts, they operate like that donut shop in LG floor, Pavillion KL, production open for the view of public.

Yummy Donuts

This unique structure houses Selfridges, its part of the Bull Ring

St Martin's Church, located directly behind the Bull Ring

Mun also brought us to tour Birmingham's Chinatown and the surrounding area..

Their Chinatown Arc, Arcadian, reminds me of the movie '300'.

This dragon pillar definitely looks very Chinatown lor..

But... this bar and cafe area.. just behind the Chinatown street.. is so un-Chinatown

The Hippodrome Theatre, is quite famous also according to Mun

Tired of walking for the whole day, we went back to Selfridges. There's a Nero Cafe there, so just get some coffee, sit down and relax..

And camwhore :D

There's another place Mun wanted us to go... The Mailbox. It's a building situated by the canal also, and houses alot of eating outlets.. so off we went..

Forgot what building this is.. used to be some bank..

LV shop :D

This is really a bank building

Longboat by the canal. This 1 has no fuction, just parked at the side

The boat across the canal, that was where we had brunch.

Do u recognize this fella from Doraemon? Noticed this sticking on 1 of the angmoh shop's door

Finally, The Mailbox

Wow wow, seems so happening one??

Ooo.. got catwalk, no wonder la...

I noticed a few banners hanging around.. it seems that a new property is holding their launching party here..

Inside The Mailbox

We decided to have our dinner at a restaurant/bar, Red Peppers..

Not so clear this photo, me and my Caesar salad

It was getting dark already, so we decided to head back to the Bull Ring to take some night view photos.. the train station is in that area also anyway..

However, we did not have any tripod with us, so the photo quality totally sucks..

Here's one that is quite decent, taken by Mun

Mun is really a good tour guide lo.. she knows where to bring us to.. if not for her, I wouldn't know what to do in Birmingham.. and good camera-lady also.. she took good photos of me and Fred during night time, but we sucks and didn't take any half decent photos of her, that's why I try to be fair and omit all the night photos with people in it :D

That's Birmingham for the day... went back to Mun's house.. sleep...

I still have another day left to spend before going back to Liverpool.

On this 3rd day Mun brought us to her uni, Wolverhampton University. Erm.. I don't know how we managed to not take any photos.. I think we told Mun that it wasn't our uni, so we don't wanna take any photos... darn it.. now I have no photos of the uni to show u guys...

We also went to the most famous church in Wolverhampton, the St Peter's Collegiate Church.

St Peter's Church

I'm not sure who the statue is, I suppose someone of great importance to the church or to Wolverhampton..

Mun needs to work in the evening, so me and Fred went to the art gallery in town.

Some photos there..

Hamsap Ah Leong

Musical Ah Leong

Dustbin artworks

Sohai Ah Leong

I was fairly surprised that we are allowed to touch and play with almost all the art items in the gallery. It was quite fun to be honest..

But overall, I think Wolverhampton is.. erm...

For your info, if u talk to any angmohs anywhere in England, and u ask them: "Where should I visit in England?", 11 out of 10 will say: "My home town. We have the most awesome church, museum and art gallery!"

If u wanna listen to all the angmohs, you'll basically have to go to every towns and cities in England. That's ridiculous right?

In my opinion, Wolverhampton is exactly such a place. If not because I miss Mun Mun, I won't wanna spend money to purposely go there..

But Birmingham.. yeah, definitely should go... totally worth it in my opinion...

No comments: