Tuesday, December 16, 2008

流浪@Crisis Call?

Just a quick update on my current state of mind at the moment... was having a few words with a couple of guys... and girls... well mostly girls lah... just now.. at dinner, on the phone, thru MSN... sort of got quite a number of people worried...

What.. is going on? Actually it's nothing much... just got confirmation that there will be a top to down, worldwide paycut for my company.. Impact? Nothing much also la.. a couple of hundreds RM less into my bank account every month, that's all...

We are given 2 days extra leave every month.. so basically, the top management is trying to make it seems like, they are just giving us mandatory 2 days unpaid leave a month... OK ma.. get 2 more days rest every month...

Back to a more serious note.. well... just... don't worry about me ok? I've been through worse.... not that I've been through an economic downturn as a working adult... I mean, this is not my 1st job as a fresh grad.. I used to have a job in KL for 4 months, and then, determined to make my way to Penang, resigned.. things didn't go well back then, and I was jobless, without income for more than 4 months before I found something and kinda settled down here...

Having a job with reduced pay is much much better than having no job and no pay at all... I doubt that the really fresh grads would fully appreciate the value of having a job, but trust me, from having a job to being jobless, u won't enjoy the experience...

Actually, whatever explanations and reasonings the managers give us regarding these "proactive measures" are really bullsh*t to me... what really matters is that our paycheck is reduced.. but there's something that the Engineering Manager of my division said that I can really embrace..

"This is a cycle. Every 8-10 years there will be a repeat of such economic downturns. There's no way for us to run away from it. We just have to live with it."

Except that, everyone is predicting that this time is the worst since The Great Depression in the 1930s....

Hopefully, my 4 months experience of being jobless is enough preparation to help me ride through this financial tsunami and hopefully, I will emerge stronger...

钱不是问题,问题是没有钱。。。

1 comment:

AsX said...

Hi, nicely said. I had a conversation with my boss's boss and the conclusion is that many youngster never experience a true depression to appreciate their job. Luckily we are experiencing this at younger age (I mean without a family to feed yet). Imagine the worries of those who have a family, this is really a stressful period for all. Hopefully this is a lesson for all youngster how important a job is, and for those family ppl which got affected, i wish we all could sail through this difficult period smoothly. For those who think not affected, imagine unemployment up, crime rate up and so on...

Good luck everyone! Good luck Gunner!