Thursday, July 23, 2009

I Love My Job!!!

I'm often asked: "What's your job?"

I often reply: "Test Engineer."

And then I'll be asked: "What do you test? Rice cooker/mp3 player/computer/remote control cars/condoms/etc?"

There was even one fella, this bugger, who asked: "Wah so high tech ah? Test papers also need engineer to create??"

*faintsss..... @@*

So, today, I'm going to give you a snapshot of what I actually have to deal with in my job...

Basically test engineer means an engineer who develops/make improvements on test systems that perform tests on the products assembled in the production line (the accuracy of measurement instruments in my case) to ensure the products shipped to the customers are of the highest quality.

Most of the time, I deal with programming codes.. there are many programming platforms we use in my company, my area uses mostly 2 of them:



Currently preparing myself to get involved with a 3rd platform...


Due to my "fast response" @ efficient @ kepoh nature, I also serve as the QMS rep for the test team. To be able to fulfil this side responsibility well, I attend a lot of internal courses conducted by experts of the quality field within the company.. (QMS = Quality Management System)



Working in my division, specifically my team, can be of both extremes..

We have an Action Item spreadsheet where all the engineers update whatever new tasks they have...

When you select the greens on the Status column,


you feel happy, because it shows you have contributed a lot and are useful to the company (also means your job is more secure)

Then you switch over to the reds,


You'd realize, no matter how much you push, how long you've been working here, the reds always overwhelm the greens...

Suddenly you'd feel as if there's a 10 tonnes rock hanging over your shoulder...

Fun right? Exciting right? That's why I love my job...

5 comments:

ThinkING said...

i am test engineer too, but i hate my job :(

RealGunners said...

if u really hate ur job, pek pao mm lou lo.. :s

home said...

then? jiak cao(eat grass) ar??

PoisonKagero said...

Wow...that's actually quite interesting =)

RealGunners said...

home: u no need to worry for Ms ThinkING one, she can work as housewife hehehe

PoisonKagero: if u jump in, it will be more interesting :P