Sunday, April 25, 2010
Loveland facts from Wiki
1. Loveland is situated 46 miles (74 km) north of Denver.
2. The city was founded in 1877 along the newly-constructed line of the Colorado Central Railroad, and is named in honor of William A.H. Loveland, the president of the Colorado Central Railroad.
3. The city is south of Fort Collins. The two cities have been steadily growing towards each other over the last several decades and are considered to be a single metropolitan area by the U.S. government.
4. Loveland has aggressively expanded its incorporated limits eastward to embrace the interchange of Interstate 25 and U.S. Highway 34, and is currently developing the area. In the last decade, the intersection has become a primary commercial hub of northern Colorado, with the construction of shopping centers and the Budweiser Events Center.
5. The Loveland-Ft Collins metropolitan area has received numerous awards as a great place to live, by Money Magazine, USA Today, AARP the Magazine, and others.
6. There is a large population of artists in Loveland, which has drawn three foundries, an art museum, and the annual Sculpture in the Park show in August, which also exhibits artwork from artists from the United States and the world.
7. The city is located in the Colorado Front Range region at the base of the foothills just east of the mouth of Big Thompson River Canyon. Longs Peak and other mountains are visible from much of the city.
8. Lake Loveland, an early agricultural reservoir in the irrigation system of the region, is located in the city limits and provides a recreational facility for the city residents.
9. Loveland is located along U.S. 34, one of the principal access routes to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.
10. Loveland is perhaps best known nationwide as the home of the Valentine Re-Mailing Program. Every year, hundreds of thousands of Valentines are packaged inside larger envelopes and sent to Loveland, where volunteers hand-stamp them with a Valentine's verse and send them on to the intended recipients. Leading up to Valentine's Day, the city authorizes the placement of red hearts with sponsored personal messages on light poles and other fixtures of the city streets.
11. Over 100 pieces of the city's sculpture can be found in Loveland's Benson Sculpture Garden, widely considered one of the nation's best outdoor exhibitions of artwork.
(Extracted from Wikipedia)
Hmm... seems like there's a a lot to do in this city... although mostly does not involve shopping...