Friday, August 06, 2010

Meet up with Sally @ LA

Basically our DIY LA sightseeing ended with just Universal City and Hollywood Boulevard, we barely had enough energy to make it back to the hotel... It was a disappointment not to make it to Disneyland, Santa Monica, Chinatown, Rodeo Drive and Broadway, that'll have to wait till next time.

But it did not mean that our LA adventure was over, because that same night, we met up with a friend of mine, Sally, whom I did not see since I left school, 7 or 8 years ago...

Two pretty ladies

Sally is the one on the left, on the right is her friend Yuli. Sally is an Indonesian Chinese who spent the best part of her secondary school life in my school. We used to be in the same class for a year or two. After we finished our SPM, she moved to the States to continue her studies while I was stuck in TAR College. And please don't say Yuli is more sui than Sally, she gets pretty upset when someone say that to her

They came to our hotel and picked us up. The first stop was dinner at an Indonesian cafe called Simpang Asia. Sally said this cafe was inside LA downtown, but it was a long journey, about 30 minutes, and all I saw in her car was the highway, some trees, then some more highway. So for all I know, she could've been bluffing me and we were actually at some suburb...

There's no authenticity issue with this place though, the cafe is literally filled with Indonesians...


Indonesian food tastes similar to Malaysian food, and the food here tastes great, even though their names either make no sense to me or are difficult for me to remember...

Some dessert - I totally forgot what its called...


Laksa - Please, Malaysians, please do not laugh or scratch your head, remember this is Indonesian cuisine, perhaps laksa means differently in Indonesian language...


Ayam Penyet - I know 1 out of 2 words of this dish, it's a very good and flavorful dish...


Coto Makassar - apparently its a traditional food of Makassar, which is part of the island of Sulawesi.


I was actually intrigued with the name of this dish, so I looked for it in Wikipedia, and there really is an entry for this dish!

[Makanan ini terbuat dari jeroan (isi perut) sapi yang direbus dalam waktu yang lama.]

What the heck is sapi, I thought, so I clicked into the link for this sapi, and...

This is sapi

Erm...... hahahaha.... speechless....

After dinner, Sally brought us to the next stop of the night: dinner again supper.

This time its somewhere in Koreatown of LA, restaurant's called Hodori...


Apparently, K-pop is very hot in the States too, and Sally was under the impression that Malaysia is not the same in this aspect, so she thought that it is not easy for us to get authentic Korean food in Malaysia...


I didn't wanna hurt her by revealing to her that K-pop is much hotter in Malaysia. In fact everything Korean is hot in Malaysia =.=". And honestly, I didn't pay much attention to Korean food when I was in Malaysia either, so its not such a bad idea to go Korean in LA. Except that we already had dinner before we came here.

It is also because of my inexperience with K-food that evil Sally managed to bluff me. She told me these iced water were for us to wash our hands, that's why they serve it in a bowl... >.<

No authenticity problem here too, bloody all of them in here are Koreans, I even felt out of place here..


Here's another picture of the two pretty ladies...


Soon our dishes came...

Soon Tofu - quite an appetizing soup, with tofu and some seafood, and an egg obviously...


Sam Gae Tang - I wonder if Korean language has some loose Cantonese influence. Try to read 参鸡汤 in Cantonese... and this is a killer dish for us, it's got glutinous rice inside the chicken!


Free flow kimchi - same as in Malaysia, probably that's a standard for Korean restaurants around the world...


Some fish dish - couldn't recall the name, but this is the killer dish number 2, super big portion!


Basically, after this, we could barely walk, our bodies were to heavy for any other activities, so we went back to the hotel, then we hugged goodbye said goodbye, and then Sally left with Yuli. They would be driving 1 hour back to where they're staying...

It was emotionally and gastronomically a very fulfilling meet up with Sally. It's already 7 or 8 years, and she hasn't changed one bit! Still look same young, still same sharp tongued, and still same lovable. Great to have you as friend, Sal. Too bad last month when you came to KL, I didn't bring you to KL version of Koreatown :P.

No comments: