Saturday, October 09, 2010

Efficient Driving

Three top tips for efficient driving to give you better fuel consumption:

1. Avoid driving above 3000 rpm unless absolutely necessary.
2. Maintain constant speed and rpm while driving, avoid huge variation.
3. Don't brake unnecessarily, and don't brake abruptly.
4. When taking off from a traffic light, don't put your foot down on the gas pedal unless you are absolutely sure that you won't need to brake again immediately.

Above are all not applicable to me...

I have been doing 11-12 km/litre of petrol on my previous 2 tanks, with a mixture of going to work, going to Georgetown, and going across to the mainland, so it is 70% city 30% highway...

On this latest tank of petrol, I have been doing 100% going to work and back.

Actually, from where I stay to where I work is only 5 km, so I only do 10 km daily...

Problem is, on this 5 km trip, there are 5 traffic lights and 10 corners, so you can imagine I have to accelerate/brake every 500 meters or so, and it doesn't help that I am surrounded by Penang drivers who think their Wira/Kancil have 200bhp and ABS...

As a result, after 3 days of filling up my tank this time round,


To put things in perspective, 1 bar in the petrol gauge display is approximately 4.5 litres of petrol, if we do some simple maths here, 31.7 km for 4.5 litres means... means...

7 km/litre!!! WTF??!!!!

This is the mileage of my 15 years old Kancil 660EZ... hmm...

No comments: