Sunday, July 03, 2011

Business Tactics

A frustrating day out for me today... went to get my bi-monthly hair cut, the barber shop was supposed to open at 11.00am, but it wasn't, so I went to the nearby coffee shop to satiate my craving for 猪肉粉 a.k.a pork noodle... Little did I know that a huge shock awaited me...

You see, this coffee shop is on that I frequent a lot when I was still living at home. I especially love the pork noodles here because the taste is very very flavourful and the pork portions are very generous...

What I got today, for RM5.00, was this...


1 pork ball, 1 small slice of liver, 1 small shard of intestine, few tiny bits of minced pork, and few tiny strips of lettuce. With a bowl full of bihun. What the???!!

It used to be 3 pork balls, few big slices of liver, few shards of intestine, few pieces of lean meat and loads of minced pork to come with little bit of bihun, for RM4.50...

So I'm paying 50 cents more for less than half of what I used to get up till a few months ago...

When I questioned the auntie on what is this nonsense, she nonchalantly replied: "I give you more bihun ma, as long as can make you full lah"

To make matters worse, the kopi O 冰 (iced) cost a bloody RM2.00! Few months ago it was RM1.40... and, tasted twice as thick as now...

- - - - - - - - - -

Lepak at the coffee shop until 12.00pm, went back to the barber shop, it was open now. Went in, sat down and told the barber uncle what I usually tell him: 照旧, 尽短尽薄 (as usual, as short and as thin as possible).

It was 10 agonising minutes, watching the uncle trim here and there, and seeing the bush that was my hair still looking more or less the same, same bushy. And then the uncle said we're done.

I said: Uncle, 唔好玩啦, 都无咩短到 (Uncle, don't play lah, didn't shorten by much).

I asked him to cut shorter, he reluctantly trimmed a few more strands of hair, and then said we're done again.

I questioned him on what the fuck is this about? Usually when I said short, it would be really short. Uncle replied: "if every round also cut so short, customers will come back less, of course cannot cut so short."

The barber that I have been frequenting since I was 8 years old, gave me this nonsense!

Pissed off, I told him, I will be going overseas soon (which might be true), I won't be back for a few months, please make my hair properly short... to my horror, he said it would cost me RM5 more than the usual RM10...

- - - - - - - - - -

I thought last time was bad enough, where whenever petrol price go up 5 cent per liter, a bowl of noodle goes up 20 cents - 50 cents. Seems like now, even without any petrol price hikes, they can increase price periodically and give us less fulfilling experience in whatever we do, all at the same time...

I wonder few more years down the road, what will happen?
1. Pork noodle RM8 only comes with noodle and soup, pork ingredients separately charge.
2. Hair cut RM20 only barber's expertise, electricity and hair cut equipments rent separately charge.

Hmm... haih...

4 comments:

Casendra said...

Wah, the hair cut uncle memang terang terang rob u! HAhahaa... itu lah. If u really look into the price, I tell u, really pissed. Now i took hot tea outside. Yiu, memang beh shiok the pricing. Ban those shops!

RealGunners said...

I wonder if is just 1 shop, or all the shops in KL also same. Disgusting you know, lately they just increase price for no special reason.

Every time I thought Penang has caught up in terms of expensive-ness, when I go back to KL I get a big slap in the face...

Casendra said...

Friend, sama aja mana mana pun. No reason? They'll tell u, petrol increase electricity increase sugar increase bla bla bla... at the end either u felt like slap them or bring your own food... sien...

RealGunners said...

that's why I cook more nowadays, and turned my blog into food blog @.@