Monday, October 24, 2011

3 Years

I can only say: time flies...

Without knowing it, the 3 years mark just passed. In other words, it is now the 4th year since I headed up north from home...

Sometimes, actually most of the time, I don't know how this 3 years passed by so quickly. I don't know what I did for myself thus far...

Some say, 3 years is a cycle in the employment industry in Penang. After 3 years, you leave for much much more money better opportunities. Apparently, this cycle is not applicable to me. In fact I just recently signed a 1-year bond with the company for sending me to the States to help out with my counterparts with some real work sponsoring me on a lavish US trip...

But when it comes to mindset, it does look like this 3 years adds up to a cycle...

First year:

I had my first job for 4 months, then quit and became jobless for 4 months, before I got this job. In more ways than one, I was considering myself to be a fresh grad making a fresh start. And 1 month into my new job, the economy downturn hit, the company announced a 35% drop in revenue and increment freeze; 2 months later a 10% pay cut.

These all made me appreciate the nearly last chance to jump on board. Trying to take on as much knowledge and skills as possible, I embarked upon a process of working late nights and working over the weekends and public holidays. I was constantly putting in at least 50% more effort than what I was paid for.

Second year:

For the first half of the year, I was fairly motivated. I got my first increment and promotion. Things were looking very good indeed...

And then my peers in the same company different division, and different companies around Bayan Lepas got their promotions one by one. This is when I begin to feel sort of short changed. You see, when everyone around you gets the big jump in salary that comes with the promotion, and you realized you did not get the same jump, naturally you will start to feel depressed.

I was beginning to question my worth to the company, and my commitment to the company. Is it worth giving that extra 50% or more, in return of getting the same % of increment as my team mates, maybe at most 1-2% more? And the promotion increase is pathetic compared to my peers! This is when the demotivation starts.

Third Year:

I witnessed some sort of a mass resignation within my division. And I witnessed the property price sky-rocketing RM80k - RM100k within the time span of 1 year. And I witnessed inflation going up by at least 15%.

The increments and the bonuses does not even cover these increases in costs. Instead of moving ahead, we are actually moving backward the longer we work.

And then there's news of people who jumped to a new company, and get a massive boost in salary. What the fuck is going on??!! Is seems that the employment system in Malaysia is rewarding the jumpers and not the loyalists!

And then there's some managers in the company who said of the jumpers: "These people ah, they don't know the company is very good to them, they are so greedy one."

What'd you expect, numb nuts? If the system rewards the jumpers, and with the cost of living racing ahead of normal increments, how can you expect no one to want to look for newer pastures?

I've spent the best part of this third year feeling depressed and demotivated about money and the system. Make no mistake, my manager is very good to me. I can feel that he tries to give me as much as he can. Just, there is only so much a lower level manager can do.

Fourth Year:

Just signed a fuckin' bond which will effectively tie me down for the year. Not sure how I'm gonna get through this year though. For the record, I still feel as demotivated as I have ever been...

4 comments:

Casendra said...

motivated by 1 yr job security. Hahahaha....

haih, 'dah gong zai' is like that, try to find some 'kang tao' during personal time lo... what to do...

RealGunners said...

been trying out few alternatives lo... haih... haven't found something that is worth ploughing in more effort...

Casendra said...

Hehe, pergi short local trip, pangkor laut resort ok leh. Or take some 2-3 days personal course, read some interesting novel... Hahaha gambade eh!

RealGunners said...

I have somewhere else in mind actually. If it happens, maybe you will be able to read about it =P